What is Acnedap Plus 5% dapsone + 0.1 adapalene gel and how does it work?
Acnedap Plus gel made by reputable Cipla and contains the active ingredients dapsone 5 percent + adapalene 0.1 percent.
Dapsone is a sulfone component that is used as a topical treatment for acne vulgaris but is also used to treat serious infections like leprosy. Acne forms as a result of overstimulation of the sebaceous glands (oil-producing glands in hair follicles). This often happens in response to a surge of androgen hormones at puberty and causes pores to become clogged with dead skin, leading to the formation of new pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads (comedones), which can become infected and inflamed. Clogged pores attract bacteria which then overgrow and cause infection. Propionibacterium acnes are bacteria that normally exist on the skin without causing any problems, living on fatty acids in the sebum (oil) secreted by the sebaceous glands (oil producing glands in hair follicles of the skin).
Dapsone in Acnedap Plus gel is a sulfone antibacterial with anti-inflammatory actions and is thought to work by blocking the formation of dihydrofolic acid bacterial cells, a precursor for folic acid, which is needed for nucleic acid synthesis. This does not affect the host cells as only preformed folic acid is used in mammalian cells. This action of dapsone in Acnedap Plus gel kills the bacteria and prevents the spread of bacteria. Acnedap Plus gel is an effective and well-tolerated option for the topical treatment of acne vulgaris.
Adapalene is one of the active ingredients in Acnedap Plus gel. It’s a multi-benefit, dermatologist-recommended retinoid specifically used for clearing acne. Adapalene 0.1% treats acne deep in the pores at the source, prevents new acne from forming and, as a result of reduced acne, restores your skin’s natural texture and tone. Adapalene has been prescribed to more than 40 million people over the last 20 years. With Acnedap Plus, acne sufferers now have access to this effective treatment without a prescription.
Must-have ingredients for acne treatment
Acnedap Plus gel by OKdermo is brought into the dermatological market by reputable Cipla as a unique blend of two potent anti-acne ingredients. These two ingredients are adapalene and dapsone. Let’s explore more about these ingredients.
Dapsone is a sulfone component that is used as a topical treatment for acne vulgaris and serious infections like leprosy. Acne is a result of the overstimulation of sebaceous glands. The sebum causes the pores to become clogged with dead skin leading to the formation of new pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads.
Bacteria start growing in the clogged pores leading to infection and inflammation. Dapsone in Acnedap gel is a sulfone antibacterial that has anti-inflammatory properties. The gel is an effective and well-tolerated option for the treatment of acne vulgaris on the face, back, neck, and chest in patients over 12 years of age.
Adapalene is a third-generation topical synthetic retinoid, a napthoic acid derivative with retinoid-like properties. Primarily used to treat mild to moderate acne, it’s also ideal for treating keratosis pilaris and other skin conditions. Adapalene works by affecting the cell’s growth and decreasing redness, swelling, and inflammation. In this way, it serves to reduce the number and severity of acne pimples, and promote quick healing of pimples.
Advanced technology. The topical oil-free acne medication contains breakthrough technology that rapidly dissolves oil on the skin and works to quickly reduce the size, redness, and swelling of pimples.
Science-backed formula. Gel made with an oil-free formula, the acne spot medicine works effectively yet won’t over-dry skin, and is suitable for normal, oily, and combination skin. This acne blemish treatment starts working the second you put it on to dissolve surface oil and can be applied easily after cleansing skin.
Safe, effective, and non-toxic. Our advanced formula is free of harsh chemicals. This premium quality formula is extremely gentle and safe for daily use. Our specific formula helps your skin feel soft and silky during application and dries quickly for use under makeup or with other skin-care products. Clinically proven to be safe, effective, and nontoxic. Designed to go with the normal physiological course of the skin.
The side effects of Acnedap Plus?
The most commonly reported side effects when using Acnedap Plus include dryness, itching, and redness of the skin at the site of application. Other rare side effects include Methemoglobinemia (a blood disorder where abnormal amounts of the blood pigment methemoglobin is produced.
When should Acnedap Plus not be used?
You should not use Acnedap Plus gel if you:
- are allergic to dapsone or any ingredients in Acnedap Plus gel;
- are pregnant or are breastfeeding, without discussion with your doctor;
- have a glucose-6- phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency as this may increase the risk of hemolytic anemia when using Acnedap Plus;
- are using benzoyl peroxide containing medication for acne followed by dapsone as this may cause a temporary local yellow or orange discoloration of the skin and facial hair;
- are taking medicines that induce methemoglobinemia when using Acnedap Plus, such as sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para‐aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, and quinine.
How to use dapsone 5% + adapalene 0.1% gel
Aanedap Plus gel should be applied to the affected areas twice daily. The patient should follow the instructions given below and by your dermatologist while using Acnedap Plus gel:
- The affected areas should be thoroughly washed with water.
- The pinpoint tube should be squeezed to extract the required amount of ACNEDAP Gel, 5%, onto your fingertip.
- A thin film of Acnedap Plus gel should be gently applied to the affected areas.
- The cap of the tube should be kept tightly closed after use.
- If there is no improvement after 12 weeks, treatment with Acnedap Plus gel should be reassessed.
- Continue to use your Acnedap Plus gel daily for as long as recommended by your dermatologist, which is usually 12 weeks.
Pickert A, Raimer S. An evaluation of dapsone gel 5% in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009 Jun;10(9):1515-21.