What is Biluma® Depigmenting Cream
Biluma is blended with 6 potent and proven skin-whitening ingredients with effective concentrations. Biluma cream contains kojic acid, which gives a very fast and effective result, that is visible from first use only. Arbutin is derived from berries and is used as a skin whitening agent. Mulberry extracts are derived from the plant Morus alba and have skin lightening effects. It is clinically & dermatologically tested and steroid free.
Biluma cream is manufactured by Galderma, the makers of Cetaphil’s range of products. It is a hydroquinone-free skin whitening cream that has 6 potent skin lightening ingredients. Biluma cream is more potent than other skin lightening creams available at this price. It might be effective for mild cases of hyperpigmentation as a sole therapy or as a part of this Dermatologist recommended skincare regime. It can be used to reduce pigmentation caused by the following:
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation like dark spots left after healing of pimples, boils, cuts, etc.
- Dark elbows and knees
- Dark circles
However, Biluma cream or for that matter any over-the-counter skin lightening cream might not help the stubborn cases of dark patches. You should consult a dermatologist in such cases. The cream should not be used for more than 6 months without the supervision of a doctor. Biluma cream has 6 potent skin-whitening ingredients, namely Kojic Acid Dipalmitate, Arbutin, Tocopherol or Vitamin E, Mulberry extracts, Liquorice, Tetrohydrocurcumin, and Artocarpus extract (Oxyreservetol 95%). Read how these ingredients help in reducing pigmentation in the next section.
Skin type recommendations: Biluma cream should be applied on the dark patches only. It should not be applied on a full face, until unless your full face has tanned. It can be used in oily skin because it does not contain comedogenic ingredients. Biluma cream might irritate sensitive skin types. Thus, you should do a patch test before the first use of Biluma cream, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Biluma cream contains kojic acid dipalmitate which is an enzyme that inhibits the synthesis of melanin in the skin. Due to a reduction in the level of melanin pigment, the skin becomes visibly lighter and brighter. Arbutin is a natural glycosylated hydroquinone used for skin whitening and getting rid of skin pigmentation. Tocopherol or Vitamin E bears anti-oxidant properties that help in repairing the damaged skin cells as well as lightening the skin. Mulberry extracts are naturally obtained from the plant which bears skin lightening properties. Licorice contains glabridin that is known to prevent pigmentation caused due to UVB rays. Tetrohydrocurcumin is a natural ingredient that helps in and helps in the fading of dark skin.
Main ingredients of Biluma® Depigmenting Cream
- Kojic Acid Dipalmitate is derived from a fungus and is used at a concentration varying from 2 to 4%. It is especially helpful to patients who are not responding to Hydroquinone, prescribed by a dermatologist because both of them are tyrosinase inhibitors (an enzyme that is used in the synthesis of melanin pigment).
- Arbutin is derived from berries and is widely used as a skin whitening agent across the world.
- Tocopherol or Vitamin E helps in skin lightening and repair of damaged skin owing to its potent antioxidant action.
- Mulberry extracts are derived from the plant Morus alba and have skin lightening effects.
- Licorice extract has glabridin that prevents pigmentation by UVB rays and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Tetrohydrocurcumin is derived from turmeric and helps in the fading of dark skin. A concentration of 0.25 % is considered to be potent as 4% of hydroquinone in a study.
- Artocarpus extract (Oxyreservetol 95%) is a potent antioxidant and has skin-lightening action.