What is Selenium Sulfide Shampoo?
Selsun Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Suspension Shampoo made by reputable Pfizer Pharma and Abbott company. Selsun Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Suspension Shampoo contains the active ingredient Selenium sulfide in a strong 2.5% concentration. It is used to treat dandruff, tinea versicolor, certain types of dermatitis, and inflammation of the scalp due to excessive oil secretion (seborrhoeic dermatitis). Selsun Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Suspension Shampoo is a medicated shampoo used to treat dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis (a greasy, crusting, itching scalp caused by excess oil). It works against dandruff in two ways: by reducing the greasiness of the scalp and by slowing down the growth of the layer of skin cells on the scalp that cause dandruff.
Although dandruff can be caused by a dry scalp, it typically occurs because your scalp is more oily. Psoriasis, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis are three skin disorders that can cause dandruff. The use of certain hair care products, such as dyes and styling products, can cause contact dermatitis, as well as dandruff. Dandruff is exacerbated by the overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus on your scalp called Malassezia. Sometimes dandruff results from not washing your hair frequently enough. If your dandruff is mild, you might resolve it simply by shampooing every day. However, more severe cases of dandruff call for stronger stuff.
Medicated shampoos for dandruff may all look the same on the drugstore shelf, but these products contain different medications to give them flake-fighting properties. Zinc pyrithione and ketoconazole are ingredients that reduce the presence of Malassezia. Selsun Selenium sulfide also reduces the presence of this fungus and slows down the rate of cell turnover on your scalp. Tar shampoos also normalize cell turnover. Salicylic acid-based ointments and shampoos as “scalp scrubs” formulated to get rid of the scale.
Mild, soap-free shampoos are recommended for dandruff or mild cases of seborrheic dermatitis. Adults with scalp conditions such as dermatitis, psoriasis or dandruff should use nonprescription medicated shampoos containing tar, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, and/or salicylic acid, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. For harsher cases, a dermatologist will prescribe a specific medicated shampoo. Selsun Salon Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Suspension Shampoo is a zinc pyrithione shampoo with selenium sulfide. Nizoral shampoo contains ketoconazole.
HOW DOES SELSUN SELENIUM SULFIDE 2.5% SHAMPOO SUSPENSION USP WORK
Selsun Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Suspension Shampoo with Selenium Sulphide 2.5% specifically & effectively destroys a certain type of fungus called dermatophyte. It also causes a decrease in the production of cells and follicles in the top layer of skin, as well as the amount of natural oil/sebum produced by the sebaceous skin glands.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a scaling inflammatory condition of scalp skin. Inflammation is caused by the body’s reaction to the presence of a particular type of fungus, and to products that break down oil. Selsun Suspension with Selenium sulfide flawlessly kills the fungi (fungicidal effect) responsible for causing this type of inflammation, as well as controls the itching and scaling associated with dandruff and scalp/face seborrhoeic dermatitis.
HOW TO USE SELSUN SELENIUM SULFIDE 2.5% SHAMPOO SUSPENSION USP
- Selsun Suspension with Selenium Sulphide 2.5% is for external application only. Shake the bottle with shampoo well before application.
- Selsun shampoo should be applied carefully, liberally to wet washed hair. Cover all the affected area with a very delicate layer of suspension, wait for 3-5 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly.
- Dandruff and dermatitis treatment with this suspension shampoo should be twice a week for the first two weeks and then once weekly for the next two weeks. Thereafter use only as often as necessary to control the condition.
INFORMATION ABOUT SELSUN SELENIUM SULFIDE 2.5% SHAMPOO SUSPENSION USP
- Avoid contact suspension with the eyes.
- Selsun shampoo may discolor metallic jewelry, avoid it in contact with jewelry.
- Selsun shampoo should not be applied two days before or after dyeing, tinting, or perming the hair.
- It is necessary that Selsun shampoo is thoroughly rinsed from the hair before any such hair treatments are carried out.
- Selsun shampoo should not be used in broken skin or open wounds, children under five years of age, inflamed skin inactive phase.
- This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
- You should not use Selsun Shampoo if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- Selsun Shampoo can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them: skin rash or hives, irritation or sensitization of the skin or scalp, burning sensation, increase in the amount of normal hair loss.
Where can I buy Selsun Shampoo?
OKDERMO Skin Care store offers for sale all the original Selsun products manufactured by Pfizer.