What is Oestradiol / Estradiol Hemihydrate 2mg Tablets Estrofem®
Estrofem tablets contain oestradiol 2mg, an active form of the female hormone oestrogen, and are used to replace the loss of oestrogen at menopause, relieving menopausal symptoms. Estrofem also stimulates the development of female sexual characteristics for male to female transsexuals. Estrofem tablets are available to order and buy online from an okdermo store in doses of 1mg and 2mg in packs of 28 tablets.
Estrofem 2mg tablets are a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) used to substitute for a lack of oestrogen production by the ovaries that happens during menopause or following surgical removal of the ovaries, to relieve symptoms of menopause caused by oestrogen deficiency, such as hot flushes, night sweats, sleeplessness, vaginal dryness, headaches, mood swings, lack of concentration and loss of energy. Estrofem 2mg tablets also are also used to help prevent postmenopausal bone loss (osteoporosis) and reduce risk of fracture. Estrofem stimulates the development of female sexual characteristics and is used as part of transgender hormone therapy for male to female transsexuals.
How does Estrofem work?
Estrofem contains a synthetic form of 17β-oestradiol, which is the major and most active form of the female sex hormone oestrogen, and is chemically and biologically identical to the natural hormone. Oestrogen is a steroid hormone produced by the ovaries that bind to specific receptors inside estrogen-responsive cells and stimulates them to make proteins involved in producing secondary sexual characteristics, such as breast development and in regulating the menstrual cycle. Oestrogen also has several other actions in various metabolic processes including maintaining bone mass and lipid (fat) metabolism.
What are the side effects and health risks of Estrofem?
The most frequently reported side effects when taking Estrofem 2mg tablets are breast tenderness, breast pain, abdominal pain, nausea, edema, and headache, skin rash and itching, insomnia and depression. More severe side effects include changes in liver function at higher doses.
Long-term HRT with Estrafem does have associated health risks, including an increased risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, stroke, and deep vein thrombosis. For women with an intact uterus adding a progestagen to an oestrogen replacement regimen like Estrofem for at least 10 days per cycle is recommended to reduce the risk of endometrial cancer.
When should Estrofem not be used?
You should not use Estrofem if you:
- have a past or family history of carcinoma of the breast, endometrial carcinoma or liver disease
- have deep venous thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders, cerebral vascular accident associated with oestrogen use
- abnormal genital bleeding of unknown cause
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- are allergic to 17β-oestradiol or any of the ingredients in Estrofem tablets
- are taking other medications that may interact with Estrofem, such as anticonvulsants like phenytoin and carbamazepine, anti-infectives like rifampicin, rifabutin, nevirapine, efavirenz or preparations containing St John’s Wort.
How should Estrofem be taken?
- You should take Estrofem 2mg tablets with a glass of water once a day, preferably at the same time each day, until all 28 tablets have been taken.
- The dose you take depends on your condition and should be as recommended by your doctor. When you have finished each pack, start the next pack immediately.
- You can start taking Estrofem tablets on any convenient day unless you are still having menstrual bleeding, in which case take the first tablet on day 5 of bleeding.
- Each pack of Estrofem 2mg tablets is a calendar pack of 28 tablets. You should take Estrofem 2mg tablets for as long as your doctor recommends.
- If you miss a dose of Estrofem 2mg tablets, take the tablet as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
- Store Estrofem tablets in their calendar pack at room temperature below 25°C, keep away from direct sunlight and do not refrigerate.