What is Progesterone 8% vaginal gel Susten®
Susten® vaginal gel (pre-filled applicators) is a topical vaginal preparation used in the women for the treatment of infertility or irregular menstrual cycle by hormone replacement therapy. Susten gel is made by reputable SUN Pharmaceuticals. Sustein supplied in a box of 10 pre-filled vaginal applicators 1.35g each. Susten contains progesterone 8% and treats infertility in women by adaptable ovulation and stimulating the discharge of an egg from the ovaries. It treats infertility by organizing the lining of the womb to obtain a fertilized egg. Susten gel may also be used through in vitro fertilization (IVF) when infertility, in women who have normal ovulatory menstrual cycles, may be due to harms with the fallopian tubes or the womb. Each pre-filled applicator contains 1.35 grams of gel and delivers 1.125 grams of gel containing 90mg progesterone component.
When to use Progesterone 8% gel vaginal Susten®
Susten® vaginal gel is most commonly prescribed for?
- Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Endometrial hyperplasia
- Progesterone deficiency during pregnancy
- Premenstrual syndrome
Side effects of Progesterone 8% vaginal gel
Major and minor side effects for Susten 8 % gel: chest pain and discomfort, fever and chills, Difficulty in passing urine, breast pain and tenderness, muscle or joint pain, white or brownish discharge from the vagina, headache, dizziness, depression, viral infections, breast lumps, Loss of vision or blurred vision, unexpected vaginal bleeding, convulsions (seizures), swelling of face, lips, eyelids, tongue, hands and feet, constipation or diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, hot flashes, hair loss or thinning of the hair.
How Progesterone 8% vaginal gel works
Susten gel surrounds the active component progesterone is a synthetic form of a female sex hormone. The progesterone hormone is vital for the functioning of the female reproductive system. It shows its action by growing progesterone levels to trigger the discharge of an egg from the ovaries so that it may be fertilized naturally. In this way, it may trigger fertility and by filling the space of hormone, it regulates the menstrual cycle.
How to properly use Progesterone 8% vaginal gel
Susten vaginal gel eight percent ( 1.35gm) comes as a gel topical pre-filled applicator preparation. The medication needs to be applied once in a day, however, the dose may be varying depending upon the condition of a patient. Do not vary your dose by yourself without doctor consultation. The gel should be applied directly to the vagina by use of the applicator integrated with the medication. The applicator should be placed into the vagina and a small amount of cream dispensed. Applied the gel either in sitting position or lying on your back with the knees twisted. Wash the applicator after every use to prevent further contamination.
Do not use Progesterone 8% vaginal gel in cases
- Susten Gel (Progesterone 8%) should not be used to care for patients who are breastfeeding;
- The use of Susten gel is not permitted if you have porphyrias, or have unexplained vaginal bleeding;
- The use of Susten gel is not permitted if you have an allergic reaction to progesterone or breast cancer and pelvic cancer complications.
Precautions when using Progesterone 8% vaginal gel
- Avoid the ingestion of alcohol and cigarette smoking while relying on treatment with Susten gel.
- If any allergic reaction like difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest tightness, swelling, skin rashes, and hives happen with the use of gel then rush to the nearest hospital.
- If you are taking any herbal products or having any health problem then consult with a doctor before using gel.
- It may ground sleepiness or drowsiness. If this comes about to you, do not drive or use machinery.
When using Susten may encounter unwanted side effects such as Bloating, Diarrhea, Nausea, Headaches, Cramps, Stomach pain, Vaginal spotting, Breast swelling or pain, Low sexual drive. Always consult your doctor prior to buying and using Progesterone 8% vaginal gel Susten.
Crinone, Endometrin, Prometrium, Progesterone Micronized