What are Femilon® Tablets?
Femilon® Tablets is an oral contraceptive pill. It works by preventing the release of an egg (ovulation) and affecting sperm movement in the womb to prevent its union with the egg. It also changes the lining of the womb and renders it unsuitable for pregnancy. Femilon® Tablet is a contraceptive medicine that stops you from getting pregnant. It prevents an egg from being released from your ovaries and also decreases the movement of sperm. This affects the fertilization process and prevents it. Femilon® Tablet is a reliable and safe method for contraception if used correctly. It does not interrupt sex and you can lead a normal routine life without any worries. Take it as directed by the doctor to get the most benefit.
Oral contraceptive pills have been around for quite some time now. However, the formulation of these has changed quite a bit since earlier days. Synthetic estrogens have become more tolerable and Progestins contained therein have also improved in generations. Femilon birth control pill is a shining example of such advancement.
Femilon boasts not only of Desogestrel – a third-generation progestin, but it also has a very low dose of Ethinyl Estradiol. These attributes make the Femilon contraceptive tablet a very safe, tolerable, and versatile hormonal pill that has class-leading efficacy in contraception and provides numerous advantages in myriad disorders of women’s health care.
Femilon® tablets are marketed by Schering – Plough – Organon pharmaceuticals as a blister pack of 21 tablets, manufactured in India. The back of the pack has directional arrows and the days of the week printed above each tablet. These arrows point in a manner of daily progression with continuity through the three weeks that must be completed in this time span.
Clinical Mechanism and Contraceptive Action of Femilon
How does the Femilon pill work? Exogenously administered agents in the form of a pill containing estrogen/progestin flood the bloodstream to acts upon the female genital tract and more importantly the brain to interrupt the normal hormonal feedback loop that exists between the brain and gonads.
FSH & LH are two very important hormones produced in the pituitary gland of the brain but have actions on the ovary. Normally they are responsible for stimulating ovarian egg formation and consequent natural estrogen/progestin production. These in turn act on the womb lining or endometrium to prepare it to receive a fertile egg or to ultimately shed off as menses in the absence of any pregnancy.
Femilon contraceptive pill unleashes Ethinyl Estradiol and Desogestrel into the bloodstream. They in turn inhibit LH/FSH levels and also the associated normal follicle stimulation process with its resultant egg release. Further changes in the genital tract include an artificial ripening and swelling of the endometrium (womb lining). This sheds easily and predictably within a few days from discontinuing Femilon. Thus an artificial menstrual state is created, which is lighter and associated with fewer cramps. Such a contraceptive pill-induced bleed is termed as “withdrawal bleeding” and is common to all hormonal pills upon their withdrawal.
Desogestrel in addition has the ability to thicken up the naturally present cervical mucus plug. This blocks sperm transport through the gateway of the uterus or cervix. Anti androgenic action is also present in Desogestrel. It is known to have weak anti-testosterone-like effects that minimize virilization or male-type side effects such as seborrhea and hirsutism.
Active Ingredients of Femilon Contraceptive Pill
Femilon pack has 21 hormonally active pills. Each pill contains 0.02mg of Ethinyl Estradiol and 0.15mg of Desogestrel. These are considered low doses for the synthetic estrogen/progestin combination. Manufacturer of Femilon Contraceptive Pill is Schering – Plough – Organon pharmaceuticals.
Femilon Tablet Usage
Dosing and Administration of Femilon tablets. Femilon tablets should be taken daily. One pill a day for 21 days completes the pack. The pill must be taken at approximately the same time every day. Consistency is the key. In women who are starting Femilon for the first time, it is recommended to start from the first day of menses.
Women who are shifting to Femilon from another contraceptive should start the day after the last pill is completed, be it an active pill or a placebo. Femilon contraceptive pill consumed with meals rich in fat content, grapefruit or grapefruit juice would help its contraceptive efficacy from enhanced absorption and transport.
Femilon can be started after abortions and miscarriages. One can switch to Femilon from vaginal rings, progestin-containing implants/depots/ intrauterine devices. However, the method of commencement and need for additional protection varies in each case and medical consultation is advised before changing over.
Femilon Missed Pill Instructions
What to do in case of missed Femilon pills? The reason for consistency with daily pill intake and that too at about the same time each day is to ensure contraceptive efficacy. Drug hormonal levels are consistently sustained above a given recommended threshold to ensure effective contraception provided the pills are diligently taken. Being human, missing one or more pills is common.
Missed one pill? When one pill is missed, remember to take it as soon as possible, preferably within 12 hours, this might mean having to take two pills at the same time the next day.
Missed two pills anytime in the first two weeks? When two pills are missed in the first two weeks, two pills must be taken for each of two consecutive days from the day of remembering the episode. Additional contraceptive protection in the form of condoms or diaphragms must be implemented for coital acts for up to 7 days from the date of remembering the event.
Missed two pills anytime in the third week or missed three or more pills? Missing two pills in the third week or missing three/more pills from the pack entails stopping the current pack and starting a fresh new pack of Femilon. Barrier contraception must be used for seven days.
Vomiting for up to 4 hours from the time of pill intake is to be considered as a missed pill. Attention must be given to the withdrawal bleed in cycles where pills are missed and regardless of whether it occurs or not, medical attention must be sought to confirm or rule out any inadvertent pregnancy.
Femilon Tablet Indications – The Clinical Applications and Uses
- Contraception: Contraception is the foremost reason for Femilon to be used worldwide. With class-leading efficacy as evident from its low failure rate of 1 to 2 per 100 women per year, its success is solely dependent on user consistency.
- Femilon Tablet For Irregular Periods: Combination hormone pills like Femilon tablets can be used to regulate abnormal menstrual cycles. Femilon finds itself used in a wide variety of sub-entities of dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
- Femilon For Ovarian Cyst: Androgen excess disorders in women range from hirsutism and seborrhea to polycystic ovaries, Insulin resistance, and Acne vulgaris (pimples). Femilon controls hyperandrogenic states very efficiently by Ethinyl estradiol’s ability to raise SHBG as well as desogestrel’s inherent anti-androgenic activity.
- Femilon For PCOS: Femilon contraceptive pill offers several benefits in various gynecologic disorders. These include prevention of ectopic pregnancy, control of uterine fibroids, reduction in pelvic inflammatory disease, settling endometriosis, reduction in Iron deficiency anemia, benign breast disorders, and functional ovarian cysts (PCOS). Premenstrual Syndrome is characterized by severe cyclic symptoms and signs around the time of menses. Femilon ameliorates and over time produces less painful and lighter periods in these women.
- Other Applications Of Femilon: Protection against various cancers is now an established fact with the use of combined contraceptive pills. Ovarian and Endometrial (uterine lining) cancers benefit best. With Pill usage from six months to a year even, a reduction from anywhere between 40 to 50% in these cancers is noted. The highlight being this benefit extends from 10 to 15 years after discontinuing Femilon.
Disadvantages and Side Effects of Femilon Birth Control Pill
The following possible side effects of Femilon are usually insignificant and often settle on their own or are managed by simple treatments:
- Allergic rash, Urticaria, Angioedema
- Headache, Migraine, Sleep disorders, Altered mood, Anxiety, Depression, Irritability
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal distention
- Amenorrhoea (cessation of withdrawal bleeds despite correct and regular pill intake)
- Breakthrough bleeding (reddish spotting or light bleeding while on the active pills)
- Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, and upper respiratory infections
- Breast pains and engorgement, tenderness
- Joint and muscle pains, leg pains, and swelling
- Auditory or hearing disturbances
- Visual alterations from corneal curvature modification, optic nerve damage or retinal vessel injury, and difficulty in wearing contact lenses
- Flu-like symptoms, fatigue, fever
Adverse Reactions Of Femilon Birth Control Pill
Femilon is prone to adverse reactions listed below just like any other contraceptive pill. It has a tendency to aggravate the risk in these conditions:
- Thrombosis: Migratory Blood clots in the veins and arteries of the body are called a thromboembolism, venous inflammation, Deep vein thrombosis.
- Brain Thrombosis: Cerebrovascular thromboembolic disorders.
- Heart-Related Clotting effects: Coronary Artery disorder or Ischemic Heart Disease, Myocardial Infarction, and Pulmonary Embolism (heart attacks)
- Cardiovascular: Hypertension or high blood pressure, Atherosclerosis, and elevated blood lipids/cholesterol
- Tumors: Breast Cancer, Liver cancer, Benign Liver tumors.
- Gall Bladder Disease: Gall stones, Gall Bladder Inflammation.
- Gastro-Intestinal: Pancreatic inflammation especially in the setting of high blood lipids.
- Central Nervous System: Migraine and Epileptic seizures.
Contraindications to the use of Femilon Tablets
Femilon tablets are not to be used in the following situations as they may cause serious life-threatening problems in one or more of the following conditions:
- Thromboembolism: Known disorder of the clotting system, Blood clots in the lungs, legs, eyes, or elsewhere, Thrombophlebitis or venous inflammation.
- Heart diseases: especially of the arrhythmic or Valvular varieties, coronary involvement, High blood pressure
- Smokers: Heavy smokers especially of age 35 years or more
- Immobilization: Before surgeries, Pelvic or lower limb fractures, Morbid Obesity.
- Diabetes: Uncontrolled or very high diabetes with blood vessel involvement
- Metabolic: High blood lipids or triglycerides and cholesterol
- Gynecological: Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, high risk for cervical cancer, undiagnosed pregnancy
- Breast Cancer: High risk for breast cancer or undiagnosed breast lumps.
- CNS: Migraine headaches, Epileptic seizures
- Liver Disorders: Undiagnosed liver tumors or elevated liver enzymes
- Chronic Debility: Chronic Liver, Kidney, or Adrenal disease.
Buy Femilon Tablets Online OTC For Cheap
You can buy Femilon tablets online from okdermo.com. Femilon birth control tablets are supplied in a blister pack of 21 tablets. Femilon costs only $24 per blister.