What is Unwanted-72® Tablet?
Emergency Contraception is slowly emerging as the need of the hour. Various medical interventions have been employed to prevent pregnancy from accidental or unintended coital exposure. Intra-Uterine Devices which were earlier used for emergency contraception have now lost out to hormonal drugs. These have proven efficacy and are inherently convenient to use. Among the hormonal pills, unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive pill offers the advantage of single drug single-dose intake versus any combination pill that needs higher and more doses. Unwanted 72 not only minimizes side effects but is solid in efficacy for preventing unwanted pregnancies arising out of unplanned coital acts. Unwanted 72 is not only readily available but comfortable and covert to use for emergency contraception. We also carry I-Pill manufactured by Cipla/Piramal which is another tablet used for the same indications.
How to Prevent Unwanted Pregnancy Using Emergency Contraceptive “Unwanted 72”
Unwanted pregnancy is often the inevitable outcome of sudden undesired sexual exposure or coital contact. These episodic encounters can happen in various ways including one-night stands, rape, incest, or unforeseen lapses with other contraceptive measures.
The consequences of such unintended, accidental, or forced contact are manifold. The looming threat of an undesired pregnancy takes its toll on many a nubile mind. Emotional trauma, psychological turmoil, physical changes, and above all the bane of social ostracism may be detrimental in such situations. Emergency contraception proves invaluable to negate such unwanted repercussions.
Two effective methods are presently available to remedy this unfortunate situation. These include Hormonal and Intra-Uterine Device-based methods.
Unwanted 72 contains Levonorgestrel the mainstay of hormonal pill-based methods of Emergency contraception. When compared to the IUD, the LNG pill – Unwanted 72 is readily available, accessible, and easy to use. It involves the intake of just one dose in one pill. Unwanted 72 has therefore rightfully earned the moniker “Postcoital Pill”.
Benefits and Advantages of Unwanted 72 and Effect on Periods
Unwanted 72 tablet is relatively free from side effects when compared to a dual hormone-based pill that contains estrogen in addition to Levonorgestrel. Being devoid of estrogen, Unwanted 72 generally is free from gastrointestinal upsets and nausea. Withdrawal bleeding occurs in most women at around the scheduled or expected time for menses (period) in that cycle; in a few cases, it may occur within 5 days. Rarely the period may be delayed by about 7 days. It is better than the combined contraceptive pill regimen of ‘Yuzpe’. The efficacy in preventing pregnancy is as high as 85% when used within 72 hours. Even higher rates are achieved when used earlier and closer to the unexpected coital act.
Unwanted 72 is marketed by Mankind Pharmaceuticals. It consists of a single tablet of 1.5mg of the synthetic progestin Levonorgestrel. Unwanted 72 Pill is a single dose formulation wherein one tablet suffices for the purpose of emergency contraception.
Uses and Application of Unwanted 72 Pill
Use of Unwanted 72 pill is valid and warranted in the following scenarios or situations:
- Unplanned intercourse in steady or married couples that mate infrequently
- When pregnancy is a strong possibility due to a failed contraceptive measure in and around mid-cycle such as with a ruptured condom, faulty diaphragm, expelled IUD, or a missed combined pill
- In cases of sexual abuse, rape, and incest
- Single sudden acts of coital exposure are common in teenage girls, young women
- In couples that practice coitus interruptus without any other form of protection
How To Use Unwanted 72 Tablet
Method of use for Unwanted-72® Tablet. For effective emergency contraception, 1.5mg of Levonorgestrel needs to be taken on a single day, within 72 hrs of the unprotected coital act. This implies Unwanted 72 tablets must be taken as a single dose, as early as possible, close to the unprotected coital event. The efficiency of Unwanted 72 may not be conserved if used later than 72 hours after the undesired coital act. Best results are obtained when Unwanted 72 tablet is used quickly and within the 72-hour window of safety for capable provision of emergency contraception. Unwanted 72 works in this way because of the design of the system of human reproductive events. In other words, the bodily apparatus needs 72 hours to produce a pregnancy from the moment of union between sperm and egg (medically termed as fertilization)
How Does Unwanted 72 work?
Mechanism of action of Unwanted-72® Tablet.. Unwanted 72 contains the second-generation progestin Levonorgestrel. Levonorgestrel when given as a pill in strong doses of 1.5mg floods the bloodstream.
Unwanted 72 then acts in a negative feedback manner blocking the actions of brain hormones LH and FSH. LH & FSH normally would have helped in maturing the female egg, preparing the female womb to receive a pregnancy (endometrial maturation), bursting the ovary to release the egg (ovulation), and help the newly formed pregnancy to sit onto the womb lining (Implantation)
Unwanted 72 blocks out all these normal events and thus prevents pregnancy by action at any of the various levels enlisted above. Unwanted 72 works before a period are missed or before a pregnancy test is positive it cannot be classified as an ‘abortifacient’ and emergency contraception is therefore not abortion or miscarriage. Unwanted 72 pill therefore is aptly referred to as an Interceptive in that it blocks implantation of a newly formed developing young embryo.
Warnings with the Use of Unwanted 72
The warnings associated with Unwanted 72 use are as follows:
- Unwanted 72 does not confer protection against HIV.
- Chances of failure are higher when used late and closer to 72 hours after unprotected sex.
- Vomiting for up to 3 hours after taking the pill is considered a missed dose and a repeat under medical guidance are needed.
- The absence of the withdrawal bleeds for more than 7 days after the expected date or beyond three weeks from the date of taking Unwanted 72 merits a medical consult to rule out pregnancy.
Precautions before using Unwanted 72
Unwanted 72 must not be used in the following conditions or situations and may need a doctor’s advice or expert consultation for use in such scenarios.:
- Already pregnant
- More than 72 hours have elapsed since the unprotected sexual act.
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- High blood pressure
- Stroke, Heart attack, Blood clots
- Diabetes with vessel damage
- Allergic to Unwanted 72 or Levonorgestrel in any form.
- Expiry date on pack exceeded
- Breast Cancer
- Chronic or long-standing Liver disorder
- Taking any other medication especially anti-tuberculosis or anti-HIV or anti Epileptics
Interactions Of Unwanted 72 When Used With Other Medications
Interactions with other Drugs or Medicines. The following medications reduce the efficacy of the Unwanted 72 pill and due care must be taken to suspect or look for the occurrence of pregnancy at the end of the cycle. These drugs are from various groups as below:
- Anticonvulsants- Phenytoin, Carbamazepin, Phenobarbitone
- Anti Tuberculosis- Rifampin, Rifabutin
- Antibiotics -Ampicillin, Penicillin, Cotrimoxazole, Tetracyclines, Clarithromycin
- Others- Acetaminophen
- Herbal preparations – St. John’s Wort.
- Relationship of Unwanted 72 with food intake. No known co-relation with the taking of the Unwanted 72 pill and the time or quality of food intake had been well studied or documented and it is presumed that drug efficacy is intact independent of dosing relative to meal timing.
Side Effects of Unwanted 72 Tablet
The side effects of Unwanted 72 tablet usually subside on their own or may need minor treatment where applicable. They are not life-threatening and are easily curable: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, Abdominal or Tummy cramps and rarely Vomiting, Fatigue, Headache, Dizziness, Flu-like syndrome – malaise, body aches, joint pains, muscle cramps, nasal congestion, Vaginal bleeding more like spotting, much before the anticipated date of menses, Breast tenderness.
Adverse Reactions Of Unwanted 72 Emergency Contraceptive Pill
The adverse effects of Unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive pill are given below:
- Ectopic pregnancy (pregnancies that occur outside of the uterine cavity mostly seen in the female fallopian tubes)
- Bleeding into the ovary (hemorrhagic corpus luteum),
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Delayed menses.
- Ear, nose, throat infections and tonsillitis
- Raised blood sugars and platelets
- Palpitations, weeping.
- Aggravated acne or pimples, skin rash
- Bleeds in the urine, urinary infections
Buy Unwanted 72 Emergency Contraceptive Tablets Online
You can buy cheap Unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive tablets online from okdermo.com. Unwanted 72 pills are supplied in a blister pack of 1 tablet.