What are Diane 35® Tablets?
Diane-35® tablets are multifaceted pharmaceutical solutions predominantly prescribed for distinct therapeutic indications. Comprising 21 pills per pack, they are integrated with two active ingredients: ethinylestradiol and cyproterone acetate.
Ethinylestradiol, a synthetic estrogen, in tandem with cyproterone acetate, progestogen, collaborates to counteract androgenic activities in the female body. This amalgamation plays a pivotal role in contraception. So, to clarify, is Diane 35 a birth control pill? Yes, but its primary intent is beyond mere contraception.
Diane-35 is also prescribed to treat moderate to severe acne in women over 14 years old due to its anti-androgen effects. Cyproterone acetate blocks the male sex hormones that contribute to acne development. When used solely for acne treatment in those not requiring birth control, only 21 pills are taken before a 7-day break. Those using Diane-35 for contraception take the full 28-day pack continuously.
Overall, this oral contraceptive/anti-acne pill has two main purposes: to prevent pregnancy and to clear up acne. It should be noted that like any hormonal birth control, Diane-35 does carry a risk of side effects like headache, breast tenderness, and nausea. Consulting a doctor is recommended to see if Diane-35 is suitable for an individual’s needs.
In what disorders is Diane 35® found beneficial?
Diane 35 tablets contain the synthetic hormones ethinyl estradiol and cyproterone acetate. These exogenous hormones suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, inhibiting the endogenous production of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) through negative feedback mechanisms. This results in anovulation and prevents implantation of a fertilized ovum in the endometrium. Cyproterone acetate also antagonizes testosterone’s effects on the skin, hair follicles, and sebaceous glands by blocking androgen receptors. The complex pharmacological actions of Diane 35 confer the following therapeutic benefits:
- Treatment of acne vulgaris: Diane 35 has been shown in multiple clinical trials to significantly reduce inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions. The cyproterone component decreases sebum production by the sebaceous glands by blocking peripheral androgen receptors. The estrogen component reduces circulating androgen levels. Together, these actions decrease comedogenesis and inflammation associated with androgen-mediated pathways in the skin and hair follicles. Sustained use of Diane 35 over 3-4 months leads to considerable reductions in acne severity, number of lesions, and acne-related quality of life indicators.
- Treatment of seborrhea: Seborrhea, or excessive oiliness of the skin, can result from increased androgenic activity. Diane 35 reduces excess sebum production and greasy skin associated with high androgen levels. The anti-androgenic effects of cyproterone acetate decrease sebum secretion from the sebaceous glands. This leads to improvements in scalp, face, and body seborrhea.
- Treatment of idiopathic hirsutism: Diane 35 has been found to effectively inhibit androgen-stimulated excessive hair growth, known as hirsutism, in women with no identifiable cause. The mechanism is mediated by cyproterone antagonism of testosterone’s effects on hair follicles, reducing the growth phase and diameter of terminal hairs. Diane 35 normalizes hair growth patterns in patients with idiopathic hirsutism.
- Treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): Diane 35 regulates irregular menstrual cycles, reduces hirsutism and acne, and provides effective contraception in a subset of patients with PCOS. The cyproterone component decreases androgen levels while ethinyl estradiol provides stable estrogen levels, regulating FSH/LH and promoting regular ovulation. Diane 35 also reduces hyperandrogenism-associated symptoms like acne and hirsutism in PCOS patients.
- Contraception: The combination of ethinyl estradiol and cyproterone acetate provides effective contraception by inhibiting ovulation, preventing fertilization, and impeding implantation through multiple mechanisms. However, the use of Diane 35 solely as a contraceptive is controversial and restricted in some countries.
- Regulation of dysfunctional uterine bleeding: Diane 35 regulates irregular, sporadic menstrual cycles and reduces heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding associated with high androgen states like PCOS. The stable estrogen levels promote regular endometrial proliferation and predictable menses.
- Prevention of endometrial and ovarian cancers: Epidemiological data shows that prolonged use of combined estrogen-progestin oral contraceptives confers a lasting reduction in endometrial and ovarian cancer risk that persists for decades after cessation of use. The mechanisms likely involve long-term suppression of gonadotropins and ovarian hormones.
- Treatment of chronic pelvic pain: Some studies indicate Diane 35 may provide pain relief in chronic pelvic pain of various etiologies, possibly due to the anti-androgenic effects of cyproterone acetate. However, more research is needed to firmly establish this benefit.
Instructions, Prescription, And Dosage
Diane 35 is effective after 7 days of starting the first pack. The detailed instructions and dosage for birth control follow:
Diane 35 contraceptive pill is started preferably on the first day of menses and the 21 active pills are to be taken daily without missing any in between.
On completing the 21 active tablets the user will get a period that is usually lighter and pain-free anywhere between 3 to 4 days after completion. Such a medically induced bleeding or artificial period is called the ‘withdrawal bleed’ and it mimics the natural period in that it occurs around day 28 of the cycle but it is not a natural period and ovulation has not occurred.
If already on some other contraceptive pill, Diane 35 is ideally started the day after completing the last active pill from the previous pack or at least on the day after completing the placebo from the previous pack.
Following the use of a vaginal contraceptive ring, Diane 35 is started on the day the ring is removed. As far as switching from Progesterone contraceptives is concerned namely the ‘Minipill’ or an implant or an ‘Intra Uterine Device/System’, Diane 35 can be started at any time but with the rider that an additional barrier (condom/diaphragm) method of protection is to be used for the first 7 days after starting.
Brand vs Generic: What’s the Difference?
Diane 35® Tablets, is primarily known for its combination of Cyproterone (2mg) and Ethinyl Estradiol (0.035mg). These active ingredients serve dual purposes: Cyproterone acts as an anti-androgen, while Ethinyl Estradiol is a synthetic form of the female hormone estrogen. While Diane 35® is the most recognized brand name, this combination is also available under various other brand names, including Alisma, Ancea, Axira, Bellgyn, Bellune, Chloe, Claudia, Diclin, and Feminac.
The relationship between brand names and generic drugs is straightforward. A brand name, like Diane 35®, is the name given by the manufacturer, in this case, Bayer, Zydus Pharma. The generic name, on the other hand, refers to the drug’s active ingredient(s) – in this instance, Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol. Both brand-name drugs and their generic counterparts contain the same active ingredients, ensuring equivalent therapeutic effects. The primary difference often lies in the price, with generic drugs typically being more affordable than their brand-name counterparts.
Possible Side Effects
Diane 35 Tablets, like all medications, come with potential side effects. Before commencing any medication, it’s paramount for businesses to recognize these effects and understand their implications. Common Side Effects include:
Blood Clots: One of the most notable side effects associated with Diane 35 ED is the potential risk for blood clots. These can occur in veins and arteries. Those with pre-existing medical conditions such as high blood pressure may be at an increased risk.
Vaginal Bleeding: Unexpected vaginal bleeding can occur when taking Diane 35. This is different from the usual withdrawal bleed that many experience.
Hormonal Imbalance: Diane 35 works as a hormonal contraceptive. As such, it might cause some hormonal imbalances leading to mood swings or other emotional responses.
Composition and Dosage
The composition of Diane 35 is designed to mirror natural hormones. For optimal contraceptive protection, it’s essential to take Diane at the usual time every day. If you take the last pill from a pack of Diane 35 and need to start the next, it’s crucial to follow the instructions provided by the doctor or pharmacist. If one pill is missed, ensure it’s consumed within 12 hours to maintain efficacy.
When to Consult a Medical Professional
If experiencing any unusual side effects or if uncertain about the correct dose, always check with your doctor. This is especially pertinent when considering existing medical conditions or if you’re in the USA and are accustomed to different medical protocols.
Diane 35 vs. Yasmin: What is better for me?
Diane 35 and Yasmin are both prominent oral contraceptives, each with its own distinct benefits and considerations. Diane 35, recognized for its dual utility, combines cyproterone and ethinylestradiol. This formulation is often lauded not only for its contraceptive properties but also for its effectiveness in treating acne and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). On the other hand, Yasmin, which contains drospirenone and ethinylestradiol, stands out due to its relatively fewer side effects, particularly bloating and weight gain.
While both medications offer reliable contraceptive protection, they cater to different needs. Individuals struggling with severe acne or PCOS might lean towards Diane 35, appreciating its therapeutic advantages in these areas. However, those who prioritize minimal side effects, especially concerning weight and bloating, might find Yasmin more suitable.
Where Can I Buy Diane 35® Tablets?
In today’s digital age, acquiring health and beauty products, including Diane 35 tablets, has become increasingly convenient. While numerous platforms offer the option to buy Diane 35 online, discerning authenticity becomes paramount. OKDERMO stands out as a beacon of reliability in this vast online marketplace. Here’s why:
Genuine Products: At OKDERMO, the emphasis is on delivering genuine and authentic Diane 35 tablets, ensuring that businesses receive the quality they anticipate.
Worldwide Shipping: Catering to a global clientele, OKDERMO offers seamless worldwide shipping, making it easier for businesses to access these pills online, irrespective of their location.
Credibility: Data-driven insights reveal a surge in counterfeit products in the online space. OKDERMO, however, has consistently maintained its reputation by providing only authentic products, reinforcing trust among its users.