What is Alphagan® Brimonidine Tartrate 0.1% / 0.15% / 0.2% Eye Drops?
Glaucoma is a disease that can damage the eye’s optic nerve. It usually develops when fluid pressure inside the eye (or eye pressure) slowly rises, causing high eye pressure, or ocular hypertension. Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. While there is no cure for glaucoma, studies show that lowering high eye pressure can help reduce the risk of glaucoma-related vision loss. That’s why daily treatment of high eye pressure is very important. Remember, high eye pressure can slowly, but permanently, damage your optic nerve before you notice any change in vision.
Glaucoma is an eye disease that damages the optic nerve which is essential for proper vision. This damage is often caused by abnormally high pressure in the eye. Alphagan P Ophthalmic Solution is used to reduce swelling and pressure inside the eye. This helps prevent complications of glaucoma such as blindness and improves vision. This medicine may be used alone or with other eye drops. Glaucoma cannot be prevented. Frequent monitoring, regular checkups can help detect the disease in its early stages.
Alphagan® is a medicated eye drop approved to lower eye pressure (IOP) in patients with open-angle glaucoma or high eye pressure (ocular hypertension). Alphagan® Ophthalmic Solution offers reduced drug exposure with the lowest dose of active ingredient among all Allergan brimonidine brands. Your doctor can recommend an eye drop to help you manage your glaucoma or high eye pressure. One option is Alphagan-P® 0.1%.
ALPHAGAN® P 0.1% ophthalmic solution is an FDA-approved eye medication used to lower high eye pressure in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension (high eye pressure). There is no FDA-approved generic version of ALPHAGAN® P 0.1%.
Although the exact way Alphagan® Ophthalmic Solution may work is unknown, it is thought to reduce eye pressure in 2 ways:
- Reduces production of extra fluid in the eye
- Drains Extra fluid out of the eye
During treatment with Alphagan® Ophthalmic Solution in clinical trials, the most common side effects patients experienced were: Eye allergies (allergic conjunctivitis), Eye redness (hyperemia), Itchy eyes (eye pruritus).
It’s important to lower your high eye pressure caused by glaucoma by using Alphagan® 3 times a day as prescribed by your doctor
- Use your eye drops at the same time every day (or as your doctor recommends).
- Keep your eye drops in the same place so you always know where they are.
- Set alarms and reminders on clocks, cell phones, and computers to help you.
- Draw an “X” through each day of your calendar after you use your eye drops.
- Add using your eye drops to other daily routines such as brushing your teeth before bed.
- Ask a friend or family member to help you remember. Each day, they can ask, “Did you remember to put your eye drops in today?”
- Put a reminder note to yourself in a prominent location, such as on your refrigerator.