What is Yasmin® Tablet?
Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol is a combination birth control pill containing female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). drospirenone and Ethinyl estradiol also cause changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus. Drospirenone and Ethinyl estradiol is used as contraception to prevent pregnancy. This medicine is also used to treat moderate acne in women who are at least 14 years old and have started having menstrual periods, and who wish to use birth control pills.
Yasmin® is also used to treat the symptoms of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), such as anxiety, depression, irritability, trouble concentrating, lack of energy, sleep or appetite changes, breast tenderness, joint or muscle pain, headache, and weight gain. We also have in stock Diane 35 Birth Control Pills which is another combination tablet used for the same indications.
Yasmin Tablet is a contraceptive medicine that stops you from getting pregnant in multiple ways. Firstly, it prevents an egg from being released from your ovaries. Secondly, it makes the fluid (mucus) in your cervix thicker, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the womb. Additionally, it prevents thickening of the lining of your womb, thereby making it unfavorable for an egg to grow in it. Yasmin Tablet is a reliable and safe method for contraception if used correctly. It does not interrupt sex and you can lead a normal routine life without any worries. Take it as directed by the doctor to get the most benefit.
Yasmin is an oral contraceptive. The main function of the Yasmin contraceptive pill is to protect against pregnancy is aptly supplemented by its inherent acne ameliorating properties. It contains the synthetic fourth-generation progestin ‘Drospirenone’ which albeit a weak anti-androgen is important in the modulation of acne treatment. Moreover, it makes for a befitting companion to ‘Ethinyl Estradiol’ in forming the trusted combined contraceptive pill. These two synthetic sex hormone steroids in such a consolidated formulation have quite a few other propitious actions in women’s health ailments. We also have in stock Diane 35 Birth Control Pill which is another combination tablet used for the same indications.
Yasmin Contraceptive pill is marketed by Bayer Pharmaceuticals in blister packs of either 21 (Yasmin -21) or 28 (Yasmin- 28) tablets. The Yasmin – 21 pack has 21 yellow active tablets. Yasmin -28 is slightly different in that it has the same 21 yellow active tablets but in addition contains 7 white-colored placebo or dummy tablets completing its 28 pill blister pack. The active agents contained in each of the 21 yellow tablets are Ethinyl estradiol 0.030mg consolidated with drospirenone 3mg. The dummy tablets on the other hand are not medically active and exert no hormonal action. They are filled with inert substances like cornstarch and cellulose. Yasmin-28 is designed to provide a sensation of having consumed a pill for each day of her cycle which possibly for some women provides a sense of security against getting pregnant.
Brand name: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yasmin, YAZ, Yaz 28, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine.
Indications and Uses of Yasmin Birth Control Pills
Contraception: The dual presence of estrogen and progestin in Yasmin makes it an ideal candidate for preventing ovulation, implantation, and sperm transport into the womb. By all these characteristic actions at various levels on the female genital tract, Yasmin protects against pregnancy. These hormones being present in low doses make for fewer side effects. The efficacy of Yasmin is among the best with reversible methods of contraception having a competent failure rate of 1 to 2 per hundred women per year.
Treatment of Pre Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder: This disorder is a severe form of Pre Menstrual Syndrome which has a host of psychological symptoms (anxiety, despair, irritability, insomnia) in combination with physical afflictions (bloating, headaches, malaise, muscle and pelvic cramps, breast tenderness) that start in the latter part of the menstrual cycle and carry through for up to six days after menstruation. Drospirenone has a multifaceted activity profile. In addition to being closer to natural progestin, it possesses potent anti-mineralocorticoid properties. This simply translates into an ability to prevent fluid retention and accumulation in the soft tissues of the body particularly the breast and pelvic regions.
Treatment of Acne Vulgaris: Comedone (largely blocked blackheads) formation in acne is incited by male hormonal influences on the facial and upper torso skin. Androgens like testosterone and DHEA-S find uninhibited influence in afflicted women promoting excess sebum secretion, more sebaceous glands, and increased keratinization of the skin. In addition to Retinoids and Antibiotics, Hormonal therapy plays a pivotal role in the treatment of acne. Yasmin fulfills this role in women perfectly. Drospirenone has weak anti-androgenic properties that directly block the action of male or androgenic hormones on the female skin. Ethinyl estradiol albeit present in a lower dose in the Yasmin formulation also reduces free levels of testosterone and DHEA-S in the bloodstream complementing the actions of drospirenone.
How does Yasmin work?
Mediation of clinical action (Pharmacodynamics) – follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH) are two vital hormonal chemicals secreted by the front part of the pituitary gland of the brain. These are gonadotrophic in that they act on the female gonads (ovaries) and genital tract to promote a favorable situation for fertilization and subsequent pregnancy.
Yasmin floods the bloodstream with Ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone which mimics a state of high levels of endogenous estrogen and progestin. This in turn has a negative feedback on the levels of FSH and LH, which fall to such low quantities that egg release from the ovary (ovulation) and progressive thickening of the womb lining (endometrial proliferation) is stalled.
The Cervix or mouth or lower opening of the womb is naturally clogged by mucus. Under the hormonal influences of Yasmin, it condenses further into a buttressed barrier that retards sperm admission and penetration into the womb. Drospirenone on its own has a weak anti-androgenic activity that blocks the acne-promoting actions of male hormones such as DHEA-S and Testosterone in target sites. Moreover, its anti-mineralocorticoid influences mediate less fluid and salt retention drying up excessive sogginess of tissues premenstrually.
Yasmin Dosage And Administration
Yasmin birth control pill is effective after 7 days of starting the first pack. The detailed instructions and Yaz dosage for birth control follow:
The 21 hormonally active yellow pills must be taken daily till completion followed by the 7 white placebo pills (applicable for Yasmin – 28)
On completing the 21 hormonal pills, bleeding occurs usually within 3 to 4 days. This is the Withdrawal Bleed. It occurs from the womb in response to the withdrawal of the hormones (completion of 21 tabs) contained in the pill. Withdrawal Bleeds mimic the menses but are far scantier and cramp-free in comparison to natural menstrual shedding. It provides a sense of reassurance that she has had a period nevertheless and the doubt of pregnancy is dispelled.
The pills must be taken at approximately the same time every day when convenient and practical for the woman.
Yasmin birth control pill should be started on the first day of the menses in a woman who is stating for the first time. Otherwise, it may be started precisely 7 days after completing the 21 active pills regardless of placebo pill intake or the occurrence of a withdrawal bleed.
She can freely switch to Yasmin from vaginal rings (started on the day of ring removal) and progesterone implants or intrauterine devices. In cases of progesterone implants and IUD’s a condom or diaphragm must be additionally used during coitus if any, for the first 7 days of switching over.
Yasmin Missed Pill Instructions
What to do in case of missed pills? Yasmin efficacy relies solely on its drug levels being maintained above a certain threshold in the bloodstream. This in turn relies on the woman’s regular habit of taking the pill daily. Any lapse in pill continuity risks failure and the hazard of an unwanted pregnancy.
- Missed one pill? On missing one pill it must be taken immediately when remembered, the earlier the better, and ideally within 12 hours. This may even result in her having to take two pills at the same time on the remembered day.
- Missed two pills anytime in the first two weeks? When two pills are missed, she should take two pills each on two successive days from the day she remembers. Additional barrier contraception is mandatory for 7 days from the event. The rest of the pill pack is continued as usual. Note this modification is only applicable for such events in the first and second week of pill intake.
- Missed two pills anytime in the last two weeks? If two pills are missed in the third week or more than two pills are missed at any time, the rest of the present blister pack is discarded and a fresh new packet is started and continued till its end. As mentioned earlier, additional 7 day barrier protection during coitus is warranted from the day the event is remembered.
Vomiting for up to 4 hours from the time of Yasmin pill intake is considered as pill loss and must be treated as a missed pill.
Yasmin Pill Side Effects
The possible side effects of Yasmin pills are given below:
- Breakthrough Bleeding: Breakthrough bleeding is a term used to refer to unintended spotting while the hormonal pills are ongoing. This side effect often disappears with continued usage and is managed easily in the rare event of a heavy flow. It results from faulty drug levels that are not maintained above a certain threshold for various reasons including individual patient profile and defective absorption.
- Amenorrhoea: Amenorrhoea or the complete absence of the withdrawal bleed despite regular pill intake is known. It occurs from high levels of the hormones in blood much above the threshold, such that the levels are sustained even on pill free or placebo days, thereby preventing a withdrawal bleed from occurring.
- Breast tenderness, engorgement, vaginal yeast infections, and vaginal discharge.
- Altered libido, appetite, weight.
- Headaches, Mood disturbances.
- Hypersensitivity, rash, allergy.
- Abdominal pain, nausea, and rarely vomiting.
- Increased blood fat content, hypertriglyceridemia with attending secondary pancreatic inflammation or pancreatitis.
- Derangement in blood sugar values and insulin resistance.
- Visual disturbances in the form of changes in corneal curvature, cataracts, and optic neuritis.
- Hearing impairment and auditory disturbances.
- Porphyria. Chronic intestinal disorders like Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis.
Disadvantageous Effects Of Yasmin Birth Control Pill
These side effects are serious in nature and are the detrimental effects that result from prolonged Yasmin contraceptive pill usage.
- Arterial and venous thromboembolism (blood clots in the vessels)
- Deep vein thrombosis, inflamed veins (thrombophlebitis)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Myocardial Infarction, Pulmonary embolism (Heart Attacks)
- Brain bleeds (cerebral thrombosis, hemorrhage, stroke)
- Breast Cancer
- Benign and Malignant Liver tumors
- Gall stones, Jaundice, and gall bladder inflammation. (cholecystitis)
- Occlusion of the blood vessels supplying the intestine (mesenteric thrombosis)
- Blood clots in the retinal vessels of the eye.
Contraindications And Warnings of Yasmin Tablets
Yasmin tablets should not be used in women who have one or more of the following risk factors or problems:
- Hypersensitivity to its active ingredients Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone.
- History of blood clotting disorders or episodes (Thromboembolism or Thrombophlebitis)
- Cerebrovascular Disorders (brain bleeds)
- High Blood Pressure, Heart Attacks (Myocardial Infarction, Ischemic or Coronary Heart disease), Valvular Heart disease.
- Smokers especially those above 35 years of age.
- Diabetes with vascular involvement
- Chronic Liver disease, abnormal liver function tests
- Chronic Kidney or Adrenal disease.
- Gall bladder disorders or Pancreatic disorders.
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, suspected pregnancy, breastfeeding.
- Suspected breast cancer, undiagnosed breast lumps
- Migraine, Epileptic Seizures, undiagnosed long term headaches.
Yasmin does not confer protection against HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections, therefore a barrier method of contraception/protection must be used.
Yasmin contains drospirenone 3mg which is equivalent to a 25 mg dose of potassium-sparing diuretic Spironolactone. This entails a risk for raising blood potassium levels and the consequent effects of hyperkalemia. Therefore it should not be used in chronic ailments listed earlier.
Drug Interactions With Yasmin Tablets
Drugs that induce the liver metabolism of Yasmin tablets and thereby lower its efficacy: Anticonvulsants- Carbamazepine, Ethosuximide, Lamotrigine, Phenobarbital, Phenytoin. Antibiotics- Ampicillin, Cotrimoxazole, Penicillin, Rifabutin, Rifampin, Chloramphenicol, Metronidazole, Neomycin, Nitrofurantoin, Sulfonamides, Tetracyclines.
HIV treatments – Nevirapin, Ritonavir, Telaprevir, Boceprevir
Sedatives- Diazepam, Barbiturates.
Drugs that may increase serum potassium (Drospirenone Interaction) include ACE inhibitors, angiotensin-II receptor antagonists, potassium-sparing diuretics, heparin, aldosterone antagonists.
Buy Yasmin Contraceptive Pills Online Cheap
You can buy over-the-counter Yasmin contraceptive pills online from okdermo.com. Yasmin birth control pills are supplied in a blister pack of 21 tablets.