What is Travoprost Ophthalmic Solution 0.004% (4mcg/ml)
Travatan Eye Drops is used for the treatment of glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Travoprost Ophthalmic Solution 0.004% is the main active component of the drops and it works to relieve the high pressure inside the eye caused by the excessive outflow of fluid from the eye which then relieves the pressure. Travatan Eye Drop works by decreasing the pressure in the eyeball. Travatan Eye Drops does this by increasing the drainage of aqueous humor which is the clear watery fluid filling the space in front of an eyeball. This reduces pressure on the eye relieving the symptoms of pain.
It is a synthetic prostaglandin analog (or more specifically, an analog of prostaglandin F2α) that works by increasing the outflow of aqueous fluid from the eyes. Like other analogs of prostaglandin F2α such as tafluprost and latanoprost, travoprost is an ester prodrug of the free acid, which acts as an agonist at the prostaglandin F receptor, increasing outflow of aqueous fluid from the eye and thus lowering intraocular pressure.
How to use Travatan Travoprost Drops 0.004%
Your eye doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. Your doctor may order 2 or more eye drops to be used together. You should wait at least 5 minutes before putting another eye drop in the same eye. Remove contact lenses before using this medicine. Wait at least 15 minutes after using this medicine before putting the contact lenses back in.
- The bottle is only partially full to provide proper drop control.
- First, wash your hands. Tilt your head back and, pressing your finger gently on the skin just beneath the lower eyelid, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to make a space. Drop the medicine into this space. Let go of the eyelid and gently close the eyes.
- Do not blink. Keep the eyes closed for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the medicine to cover the eye.
- Remove any excess solution around the eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch the eye.
- Immediately after using the eye drops, wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To keep the medicine as germ-free as possible, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface (including the eye). Also, keep the container tightly closed.
Side effects of Travatan Travoprost Drops 0.004%
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention. Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur: eye pain, itching eye, redness of the eye, redness, swelling, or itching of the eyelid, blurred or decreased vision, burning, dry, or itching eyes, eye color changes, redness, pain, or swelling of the eye, eyelid, or inner lining of the eyelid.
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.