What is Spironolactone 100mg Tablets Hyles
Hyles 100 mg contain spironolactone and are used to treat fluid retention (oedema/edema) in patients with heart failure, high blood pressure, liver and kidney disease, hypokalaemia and hyperaldosteronism. Hyles can also be used to help stimulate the development of female sexual characteristics in transgender hormone therapy.
Hyles tablets Spironolactone 100mg are used to reduce fluid retention and swelling (oedema) which is caused by several conditions, including congestive heart failure, hypertension (high blood pressure), liver cirrhosis and kidney disease.
Hyles 100 is also used to increase blood potassium levels, in a condition called hypokalaemia (low blood potassium) and to treat hyperaldosteronism, which is caused by excess secretion by the adrenal gland of the hormone aldosterone (involved in regulating sodium and potassium levels), both of which can cause fluid retention.
Hyles 100 mg has an anti-androgen activity which is used in the treatment of female hirsutism (androgen-related increase in facial and body hair) and can be used as an anti-androgen component of transgender hormone therapy, to help stimulate the development of female sexual characteristics for male to female transsexuals.
Other potential uses include treatment of hair loss and acne in women and male pattern baldness.
What does Hyles / Aldactone contain?
Hyles tablets 100mg contain the active ingredient spironolactone, a potassium-sparing diuretic that is used to reduce fluid retention and swelling (oedema) caused by several conditions. They also contain quinoline yellow, sunset yellow, erythrosine, polysorbate, peppermint oil, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, maize starch, sodium starch glycollate, talc, magnesium stearate, and lactose.
Using an anti-androgen like spironolactone (usually in high doses of 200–400 mg per day) allows the amount of oestrogen administered for feminizing hormone therapy to be reduced while optimizing the hormone regime needed to stimulate breast development, the feminization of skin, and female fat distribution.
What is the main ingredient Spironolactone
- Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt and keeps your potassium levels from getting too low.
- Spironolactone is used to treat heart failure, high blood pressure (hypertension), or hypokalemia (low potassium levels in the blood).
- Spironolactone also treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, or a kidney disorder called nephrotic syndrome.
- Spironolactone is also used to diagnose or treat a condition in which you have too much aldosterone in your body. Aldosterone is a hormone produced by your adrenal glands to help regulate the salt and water balance in your body.
How to use Hyles / Aldactone and Precautions
- You should take Hyles tablets 100mg with a glass of water with or without food, once or twice daily.
- The dose you take depends on your condition and should be as recommended by your doctor.
- You should continue taking your tablets even if you are feeling well, which may be for a few days or several weeks and your doctor may increase your dose during treatment.
You should use spironolactone with caution if you have kidney problems, high levels of potassium in your blood, Addison’s disease, if you are unable to urinate, or if you are also taking eplerenone.
Spironolactone has caused tumors in animals but it is not known whether this could occur in people. Do not use this medicine for any condition that has not been checked by your doctor.
Before taking this medicine:
- You should not use spironolactone if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- Addison’s disease (an adrenal gland disorder);
- high levels of potassium in your blood (hyperkalemia);
- if you are unable to urinate; or
- if you are also taking eplerenone.
To make sure spironolactone is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of magnesium in your blood);
- kidney disease;
- liver disease; or
- heart disease.
It is not known whether spironolactone will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Spironolactone can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
How long should you take Hyles?
You should take Hyles 100 mg for as long as is recommended by your doctor, which may be for a few days or several weeks and you should continue taking your tablets even if you are feeling well. Missed dose of Hyles If you miss a dose of Hyles 100mg tablets take it as soon as you remember unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.