What is Minimalist® Azeclair & Propolis Face Serum?
This lightweight serum is formulated with 17% Azeclair, effectively delivering 5% Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate (a glycinate derivative of Azelaic Acid). It helps reduce sebum, acne and rosacea. Paired with 4% Propolis Extract (EcoCert and COSMOS approved) that has excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and helps reduce acne lesions.
It also contains 3% Matmarine (Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract) that further boosts the sebum regulating properties of the serum. It decreases sebum levels and reduces the appearance of pores. The key ingredient (Azeclair) is sourced from Corum, Taiwan.
Azeclair (Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, or PAD), a glycinated derivative of azelaic acid, offers all the benefits of azelaic acid, primarily acne reduction via oil control, skin clarification, and anti-inflammation. Environmental aggressors like UV and air pollutants may induce an oxidative response in human skin. These aggressors can form peroxidated squalene, which in turn induces upregulation of inflammatory cytokines. PAD successfully downregulates the production of IL-6 and IL-8 (a cytokine that regulates the immune and inflammatory response) to reduce inflammatory responses. PAD also imparts inhibitory effects on 5-α reductase activity and thus reducing sebum production, giving an oil-free skin.
This product also contains Propolis Extract, which is a very diverse product. At least 300 active compounds have been identified in Propolis, like, caffeic, ferulic, p-coumaric, benzoic acid, and cinnamic acid. Its antiseptic properties make it a preferred ingredient for the treatment of various skin infections, including fungal infections. The presence of flavonoids (pinocembrin and pinobanksin), phenolic acids (caffeic acid), and terpenes give Propolis antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, making it very suitable for fungal infections and reduction of acne vulgaris.
For average sebum production in our body, MC5R, a type of protein, is necessary. Disruption of MC5R results in a decrease in sebum production. In an in-vitro study, Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract has been shown to reduce MC5R levels by 36.6%, resulting in a reduction in sebocytes differentiation and sebaceous lipid levels, hence reducing skin sebum.
- Azeclair: Studies have shown that Azeclair has a significant effect in reducing active sebum follicles (-18.89%), follicular sebum secretion rate (-37.51%), as well as total sebum excretion rate (-37.47%) after 28 days of treatment.
- Propolis Extract: In-vivo studies show that Propolis Extract, when used at 4% (like in this serum) results in a 60% reduction in acne lesions after 30 days.
- Matmarine (Pseudoalteromonas Ferment Extract): In a test, Matmarine reduced active sebum follicles by 9.5% and total surface by 27.2% which results in a reduction in sebum (when used at 3% concentration, twice a day).
How to use Minimalist® Azeclair & Propolis Face Serum
- AM & PM, after cleansing and hydrating with Hyaluronic Acid. Apply 2-3 drops. With a gentle circular motion, you can spread it all over your face.
- Although it is a lightweight formula that quickly sinks in, wait for 1-2 minutes before applying other serums or moisturizers.
- This is a fragrance-free product (i.e. no external artificial fragrance has been added to this product), but Propolis imparts a characteristic sweet fragrance to the product. Propolis also gives a golden yellow/brown color to the product, which can change over time, without affecting the efficacy of the product.