What is Hydrocortisone Aсeponat 0.127% Lipocream Efficort®
Efficort is manufactured by the reputable Galderma, it is a cream for external use 30 g (contains 38.1 mg of hydrocortisone aceponate). This medication is used to treat a variety of skin conditions (e.g., insect bites, poison oak/ivy, eczema, dermatitis, allergies, rash, itching of the outer female genitals, anal itching). Hydrocortisone reduces the swelling, itching, and redness that can occur in these types of conditions. This medication is a mild corticosteroid. Consult your doctor or pharmacist on the choice of the product that is best for you.
Efficort Cream is a steroid topical medicine which blocks the production of certain chemical messengers that make the skin red, swollen and itchy. Use this medication on the skin only. However, do not use it on the face or underarms unless directed to do so by your doctor. Some products are meant to be used on the scalp for various conditions. To correctly use these products, follow the directions on the product package.
Efficort Cream may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor prior using.
Brand names: Aquanil HC, Cetacort, Cortaid, Hytone
Contraindications for Hydrocortisone Aсeponat 0.127% Lipocream Efficort®
- Hypersensitivity to one of the ingredients of the preparation
- Ulcerative lesions, wounds
- Acne or rosacea
- Infectious dermatitis
- For the patients to whom topical corticosteroid therapy is contraindicated, especially in bacterial infections of the skin, viral, fungal and parasitic origin, even if they include an inflammatory response
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Side effects of Hydrocortisone Aсeponat 0.127% Lipocream Efficort®
Topical application of powerful corticosteroids on large areas (30% of body surface area and more) and/or during extended periods (over two weeks) may cause the following side effects:
- Inflammation of hair follicles (folliculitis)
- Increase and enhancing hair growth (hypertrichosis)
- Whitening skin (hypopigmentation)
- The emergence of so called steroid acne
- Telangiectasia (skin striae and stretch marks on the skin in strips), affecting mainly the limbs (more common, usually in adolescents)
atrophy of the skin, bruising, and skin fragility
Violation of the pituitary-adrenal axis through the systemic absorption of the drug through the skin may occur, in particular, in treating the large areas with occlusive dressings. Corticosteroids may aggravate facial rosacea and wound healing properties can be violated in the case of atonic wounds and ulcers.
How to use Hydrocortisone Aсeponat 0.127% Lipocream Efficort®
- Apply no more than 1-2 times per day (increase the number of daily applications may aggravate side effects without increasing the therapeutic efficacy of the preparation), depending on the severity of the condition, a thin layer to clean skin, avoiding the eyes and lips
- Treatment of large areas or for long-term therapy (3 weeks or more) requires clinical monitoring
- In any case, the duration of treatment prescribed by your physician should be strictly observed
- After the procedure is required to wash your hands
- Therapeutic effect develops after 1 week of treatment. If no improvement is seen within this period, then the diagnosis by your doctor is necessary to revise
- A second course is possible only after consultation with your physician
- This preparation can be used only for external use and in accordance with the doctor’s instructions
- Do not use occlusive dressings. The treated skin area should not be bandaged or otherwise covered or wrapped as if there are no physician instructions
- Avoid lotion contact with eyes and mucous membranes. In case of accidental contact with the preparation on the mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth or nose, rinse thoroughly with warm water;
- Patients should inform the physician about any signs of local adverse reactions.