What is Ginette 35® Tablets?
Ginette 35® Tablets is a combination of two hormonal medicines: Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol which treats PCOS symptoms such as acne, excessive hair growth (hirsutism), and irregular periods.
- Cyproterone works by blocking the overproduction of androgens (male hormones) in the ovaries, thereby reducing unwanted hair growth and acne.
- Ethinyl Estradiol enhances the effect of Cyproterone by reducing the number of androgens in the blood. Together, they also regularize the menstrual cycle in PCOS.
Androgens are hormones that exert a masculine influence on the body. Androgen excess in the female body is an intolerable complaint. It manifests in various ways, predominantly as Acne, commonly called pimples. Other forms of Hyper-androgenic state in women include a predisposition to oily skin or seborrhea and excessive hair growth in unwanted body areas such as limbs or face, termed as Hirsutism. Polycystic ovaries are also known to be associated with excess androgens in many women.
Ginette 35 shines a ray of light in this spectrum of androgen-excess disorders. Ginette 35 suppresses the hyperandrogenic state very effectively and when used over a period of time offers greater relief in these ailments. Albeit marketed as a formulation for this purpose, Ginette 35 provides an additional bonus of contraception to selected women. We also have in stock Yaz Contraceptive Pill which is another combination tablet used for the same indications.
Ginette 35 birth control pills is marketed by Cipla Pharmaceuticals. It is presented in a blister pack of 21 pills. Each of these pills contains the two hormones listed above. Each pill is an active pill and exerts hormonal influences on the female body. When used over a period of 21 days Ginette 35 acts to control androgen excess and also regulates the menstrual cycle.
Active Ingredients And Formulation of Ginette 35 Contraceptive Pills
Ginette 35 contraceptive pill contains Ethinyl estradiol 0.035mg plus Cyproterone Acetate 2mg. Unique to Ginette 35 is the presence of Cyproterone Acetate. This agent is a special kind of progestin that has anti-androgenic or anti-male hormonal influences. Ethinyl Estradiol on the other hand is the most usual form of estrogen in combined hormonal or contraceptive pills. The dose offering of Ethinyl estradiol in Ginette 35 is a low dose that reduces estrogenic side effects and yet maintains a strong complementary or indirect anti-androgenic activity.
In what disorders is Ginette 35 found beneficial?
Ginette 35 for Treatment of Pimples / Acne Vulgaris: Ginette 35 reduces oily skin discharge from facial skin glands. The reduced skin secretion flows easily from the glands and blockage of their openings is reduced. This action is vital in reducing the efflorescence and spread of Acne. Further, inflammation from such oily secretions is reduced and gland openings patent enough to facilitate sebum flow. The best action of Ginette 35 ensues with use over 3 to 4 months whereby there is a progressive reduction in the severity of Acne.
Ginette 35 for Treatment of Oily skin / Seborrhea: Testosterone and other such male type hormones also known as androgens are present in women in small amounts. These increase the tendency of skin to oily sebaceous discharge and its attending problems like pimples, scaling, boils, and resultant infections. Seborrheic discharge is very well controlled by continuous use of the Ginette 35 contraceptive pill. There is a successive reduction in the greasiness of skin from controlled sebum secretion especially from the sebaceous glands of the face and other hairy areas.
Unwanted Hair Growth / Idiopathic Hirsutism: Excessive hair growth is also a result of increased androgen action in female bodies. The underlying causes for the pronounced male hormonal action are varied and once found must be treated accordingly (e.g. an androgen producing tumor). However, there exists the entity of ‘Idiopathic Hirsutism’ wherein the affected woman’s body is for unknown or unexplained reasons simply more sensitive to androgenic hormonal effects. Such a sub-class of hirsute women benefits best from treatment Ginette 35.
Ginette 35 for Treatment of Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOS): PCOS is characterized by numerous tiny follicular cysts in the ovaries. In addition, other disturbances notable to this syndrome include prolonged menstrual cycles, heightened testosterone/ androgen activity, the tendency to excessive hair growth, dark skin pigmentation, oily predisposition, and infertility. Ginette 35, manufactured by Cipla provides treatment in PCOS women at various levels by serving to regularize their menstrual cycles, reduce acne, control seborrhea and hair growth, and above all promote fertility in these women once discontinued. While still on Ginette 35, contraception is always an added bonus.
Associated Advantages with the use of Ginette 35 Contraceptive Tablets
In addition to the main indications listed above, Ginette 35 contraceptive tablet has multiple other beneficial roles in the treatment of disorders of the female genital tract. Ginette 35 may not directly be used in the following disorders, but, by virtue of its suppressive actions on the female hormonal axis, benefits in these conditions are indirectly credited.
- Oligomenorrhoea / Dysfunctional menstrual bleeding: Prolonged menstrual cycles often accompany high androgen states such as PCOS or Hirsutism. Periods are more regular, pain-free, and lighter in bleeding. The cycle gets reset to normalcy and Oligomenorrhoea is corrected.
- Genital Cancers Prevention: Ovarian and Endometrial cancer (lining of the uterus or womb) are prevented by prolonged usage of combined estrogen-progestin pills with benefits of cancer-free periods lasting many years after stopping treatment.
- Pelvic cramps and Other Benign Disorders of women’s health: PID / Pelvic infection and Menses related pelvic pain or dysmenorrhea, benign ovarian cysts, and benign fibrocystic breast disease benefit while on therapy with Ginette 35.
- Ginette 35 for Treatment of Endometriosis: Cyproterone alone has been used in higher doses to treat this syndrome which is associated with painful periods. Continuous combined hormonal pill therapy is useful in endometriosis. The presence of Cyproterone in such a combination is valuable in ameliorating the disease progression in endometriosis.
- Chronic Pelvic Pain: Ginette 35 works effectively to provide relief in this disorder since it advantageously has Cyproterone as its progestin ingredient. Painful groins and pubes regardless of menses, for more than three to six months, define this debilitating condition of multiple etiologies. It cannot cure the condition, but a helpful benefit is obtained in chronic pelvic pain by women who use Ginette 35.
- Ginette 35 for Contraception (Prevention of Pregnancy): Cyproterone has progestin activity and together with the estrogen- Ethinyl estradiol, the combination prevents pregnancy. The role of the use of Ginette 35 as a contraceptive alone is controversial and considered off-label. A few countries around the world, mainly the US FDA, have banned its use for this purpose. It is noteworthy to understand that while prescribed for any of the labeled indications listed earlier, women on Ginette 35 are automatically protected against pregnancy.
How is Ginette 35 Contraceptive used?
Ginette 35 Dosage And Prescription. If already on some other contraceptive pill, Ginette 35 contraceptive pill is ideally started the day after completing the last active pill from the previous pack or at least on the day after completing the placebo from the previous pack.
In first-time users who have been prescribed Ginette 35 for any labeled indication, it is started preferably on the first day of menses and the 21 active pills are to be taken once daily without missing any in between.
“Withdrawal Bleeding” ensues approximately three to four days after finishing the Pack. This is a medically induced bleeding or an artificial period. It mimics the natural period in timing only but ovulation has not occurred.
witching to Ginette 35 from other progestin-based contraceptives is done as follows. In the case of a vaginal contraceptive ring, Ginette 35 birth control pill is started on the day the ring is removed. With ‘Minipill’ or an implant or an ‘Intra Uterine Device/System’, Ginette 35 can be started at any time, however additional barrier (condom/diaphragm) protection is to be used for the first 7 days. Ginette 35 contraceptive is effective after 7 days of starting the first pack.
Ginette 35 Missed Pill Instructions
What to do in case of missed pills? Missed pills pose a threat in that the drug levels in your blood fall and the ability of pills to provide contraceptive protection is reduced.
Missed one pill? On missing one pill, the missed Pill must be taken within 12 hours, even if it means having to take two pills at the same time on the next day. Continue the remainder of the pack as usual.
Missed two pills anytime in the first two weeks? On missing two consecutive pills in the first two weeks, take two pills the day you remember and two more on the day after. Continue the rest of the pack as usual. But additional protection in the form of barrier contraception (condom/diaphragm) is vital for seven days starting from the day after the missed pill episode occurred.
Missed two pills anytime in the third week? If two consecutive pills are missed in the third week, then the current pack is to be discarded, and a new fresh pack is to be started, with 7 days of additional barrier contraceptive protection.
Missed three or more pills? Missing three or more consecutive pills at any time warrants the discontinuation of the current defaulter pack and a fresh new pack is to be started, with the security of additional barrier contraceptive protection for 7 days.
Withdrawal bleeding should occur on completion of the fresh pack. Rarely the withdrawal may not happen. In any case, where pills are missed it is advisable and reassuring to check for pregnancy at the end of that cycle regardless of the withdrawal bleed. Vomiting for up to 4 hours from the time of pill intake is to be considered as a missed pill because the absorption of the tablet cannot be guaranteed in such cases
How does Ginette 35 work?
Pharmacodynamics and Mechanism Of Action of Ginette 35. The hormonal environment of the female genital apparatus is a complex interplay between brain-based hormones LH/FSH and ovarian-produced estrogen/progestin.
Artificially introduced estrogen/progestins into the bloodstream vide the intake of hormonal pills such as Ginette 35, tend to suppress the natural FSH/LH levels and directly stimulate the womb lining, proliferating and ripening it. In addition, the suppressed LH/FSH levels wreak havoc in the ovarian system of follicle development and egg release, thereby inhibiting ovulation.
Ginette 35 anti-androgenic activity comes from the ability of Cyproterone to block the male hormone testosterone’s receptors on end organ sites such as the skin, hair follicles, and sebaceous glands. This increases the repertoire of Ginette 35 to treat hyper or excessive androgenic disorders by a reduction in sebaceous secretions, excessive hair growth, and acne.
Drug Interactions with Ginette 35
Reduced activity of Ginette 35 is noted with Barbiturates, primidone, carbamazepine, rifampicin, oxcarbazepine, topiramate, felbamate, griseofulvin, products containing St John’s Wort, ritonavir, and Nevirapine. Therefore, when on any of these drugs, women are advised to use additional barrier contraception. Labs results that may be influenced by Ginette 35 include Liver function tests, Thyroid Profiles, Coagulation studies, Renal functions, Diabetes/Blood Glucose parameters, and Blood Lipid Profiles.
Warnings and Precautions with the use of Ginette 35 Contraceptive Pill
The following precautions must be taken when using Ginette 35 birth control pill:
- Thrombosis and Blood Clotting Concern: Smokers, women with blood clotting history or disorders, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes with vascular involvement, immobilized for long periods, obese, and those with high fat or lipid content in the blood are not eligible candidates for Ginette 35 treatments. Contraceptive hormones are known to increase the risk for blood clot formation in the deep veins of the lower limbs and other areas. Cyproterone has been found to aggravate this risk. Ginette 35 is not to be used by women over 35 who smoke.
- Malignant Tendency: Controversy exists whether contraceptives are responsible directly for the increased risk of Cervical cancer. Benign and rarely malignant Liver tumors have been reported with resultant pain and bleeding in the abdomen. Increased risks for breast cancer are known but this supposedly reduces gradually on discontinuation.
- Hepato-Biliary and GI Risks: Risks for the formation of gall stones, gall bladder infections, and stasis of gall bladder juices are all increased. Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) is also noted. It is doubtful whether Ginette 35 alters the blood lipid status and promotes atherosclerosis.
- Debilitating Diseases: Ginette 35 is contraindicated in situations of chronic liver disease, chronic kidney failure, and adrenal disorders.
- Pregnancy and Lactation: Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, undiagnosed or suspected pregnancy and breastfeeding are all contraindications to the use of Ginette 35.
- HIV/AIDS: Ginette 35 does not prevent sexually transmitted infections and HIV/AIDS.
Side Effects of Ginette 35 Birth Control Pills
These are minor unwanted reactions that occur with the use of combined contraceptives such as the Ginette 35 birth control pill. The possible side effects are temporary and often easily managed:
- Weight changes either gain or loss, fluid retention, and breast pains.
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Bloating, and Acidity/Gastritis.
- Altered sex drive, irritability, altered mood, and depression are not uncommon. Headaches and Migraines are also known to occur.
- Skin lesions include allergic rash or red nodules.
Buy Ginette 35 Contraceptive Pills Online OTC
You can buy Ginette 35 contraceptive pills online from okdermo.com. Ginette 35 birth control pills are supplied in a blister pack of 21 tablets.