What is Lamivudine + Zidovudine (Combivir Generic)?
Duovir® Tablet is a combination of two antiretrovirals. It is prescribed to treat HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. It boosts the immunity to fight against HIV to manage or treat AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome).
Duovir® Tablet is not a cure for HIV or AIDS and only helps to decrease the amount of HIV in your body. This helps to lower your risk of getting HIV-related complications and improves your lifespan. It is prescribed in combination with other HIV medicines. Your doctor will recommend the best medicines for you and will decide the doses that you need. Follow carefully the instructions for all the medicines that you are given. It can be taken with or without food. Taking all these medicines regularly at the right times greatly increases their effectiveness and reduces the chances of HIV becoming resistant to them. It is important not to miss doses and to keep taking them until your doctor tells you it is safe to stop.
Duovir® Tablet is a combined product manufactured, including two antiretroviral medications. Lamivudine and Zidovudine are used in combination to obtain the best antiretroviral effect. Duovir® Tablets can control the virus replication process inside the body, thereby lowering the impact of HIV infection.
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a retrovirus mainly transmitted via unprotected sexual activities and my mother to baby during the delivery. Duovir® Tablets are capable of raising CD4 cells within the body. CD4 cells are a type of leucocyte which protect us against infections. HIV infections suppress human immunity and allow various infections to enter the body. But consumption of Duovir tablets may allow human immunity to function better.
Lamivudine is categorized under nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. So this action can fight against HIV infections. Reverse transcriptase is an essential enzyme that is needed in DNA replication. Lamivudine gets converted to its active metabolite inside the body. Therefore this metabolite activity inhibits the DNA replication process of HIV. Zidovudine is also a reverse transcriptase inhibitor. Consequently, it can fight against the immune deficiency virus.
Side effects of Lamivudine + Zidovudine (Combivir Generic)
As in all other medications, Duovir may also provide common side effects. And there is a very low chance of being hypersensitive to the active ingredient or the excipient of the medicines. If you are allergic to Duovir, or any other medication, tell the physician immediately.
Common side effects experienced by the consumer are body weakness, blurring of vision, nausea, and vomiting, sleeping disorders, loose stool, watery diarrhea, constipation, and hematuria. arrhythmia, confusion, bloating, reddish skin, changes in taste buds, tiredness, increased body temperature, soreness in the throat, seizures, and cough.
How to use Duovir Tablets (Combivir Generic)?
Consume the Duovir tablets as instructed by the physician. Swallow the tablet with water and consume plenty of fluids to mask the side effects of the medication. Follow the frequency as ordered by the physician, and never try to change the dose according to your preference. The physician may prescribe the medicine in a way where you can maintain a constant plasma concentration. Therefore do not increase or decrease the medication dose without advice.
- Zidovudine within the Duovir may be hematological toxic, resulting in anemia and neutropenia. Therefore check your complete blood count frequently to exclude the above conditions.
- Zidovudine can trigger the occurrence of symptomatic myopathy.
- The sudden stoppage of antiretroviral may trigger lactic acidosis and hepatomegaly. Therefore follow the physician’s order as it is.
- Suppose you are infected with hepatitis B, too. In that case, there is a risk for the exacerbation of hepatitis B. and remember to monitor the liver function frequently when you are using Duovir for a long period.
- Be cautious if you are allergic to Lamivudine and Zidovudine.
- Lamivudine and Zidovudine are contraindicated for patients with renal impairments. Therefore it is essential to measure the creatinine level before starting the Duovir tablet usage. The patients with renal impairments will be given only a lower dose to control the HIV infection.
- Check your hepatic function before starting the drug regime.
- If you get pregnant, inform it immediately to the physician as special precautions are needed to prevent HIV transmission to the baby.
- Do not breastfeed while you are using Duovir tablets. The physician may prescribe Duovir, as you are already infected with HIV. When a mother is HIV positive, she must avoid breastfeeding.