What is Salytar® ointment
Salytar® ointment is a combination together of 3 active and powerful substances, which prevents the development of side effects in the form of irritation. Salytar Ointment is the standard treatment for psoriasis of the skin and scalp. Some minor local side effects of the ointment may appear: irritation, burning, redness, dryness, peeling. Salytar Ointment contains Salicylic Acid, precipitated Sulphur, and coal tar which is exclusively formulated for the treatment of Psoriasis and other skin conditions associated with scaling and inflammation. It quickly relieves the irritating and unsightly symptoms of psoriasis.
Key ingredients of Salytar® ointment
Coal tar – consists of 10000 components (phenol, toluene, xylene, and other organic acids, of which only half is revealed). Coal tar is used on the skin to treat the itching, scaling, and flaking due to skin conditions such as psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. Coal tar belongs to a class of drugs known as keratoplastics. It works by causing the skin to shed dead cells from its top layer and slow down the growth of skin cells. This effect decreases scaling and dryness. Coal tar can also decrease itchiness from these skin conditions.
Salicylic acid – has a pronounced anti-inflammatory, keratolytic properties and helps soften and remove psoriasis crusts, thereby facilitates access and the impact of coal tar and sulfur in the skin. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic (peeling agent). Salicylic acid causes shedding of the outer layer of skin. Salicylic acid topical (for the skin) is used in the treatment of acne, dandruff, seborrhea, or psoriasis, and to remove corns, calluses, and warts. Salicylic acid topical can cause a rare but serious allergic reaction or severe skin irritation. Stop using this medicine and get emergency medical help if you have: hives, itching; difficult breathing, feeling light-headed; or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. You should not use salicylic acid topical if you are allergic to it.
Do not use Salytar® ointment
- Hypersensitivity to any component of the ointment
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Children up to age 12 years
- Irritation, acute inflammation of the skin and exacerbation of chronic skin diseases
- Erythrodermic psoriasis, acute eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis exudative
- Defeat sebaceous complexes of hair (folliculitis, furunculosis, acne, sycosis)
- Professional eczema caused by allergens of chemical origin
- Kidney disease
Side effects of Salytar® ointment
Patients with acute eczema with inflammation, especially in the presence of erosions observed burning, but at the same time, the itching disappeared. Burning stops after 10-15 minutes, and just in few patients is saved the whole application period. After 2-3 applications burning usually disappears.
The emergence of a strong irritation is the basis for the termination of treatment. At the same time, the irritation in eczema should not always be regarded as an unfavorable sign. Erythema usually passes quickly by applying lotions and pastes.
It is not associated with intolerance ointments, and second application after 5-10 days break generally provides a favorable effect. Developing tar acne or folliculitis, is sometimes observed when applying tar to the scalp.
- Before the start of treatment is recommended to test tolerability of ointment on a limited area of the skin for 2-4 days
- Should be avoided contact ointments with eyes and mucous membranes of the mouth. If this occurs, immediately rinse with large amounts of water
- Do not apply ointment on exposed areas (face, neck, arms) to avoid sunburn
- Patients should limit or avoid excessive exposure to natural and artificial sunlight (it should always use sunscreen)
- Not recommended sulfanilamide preparations, phenothiazine derivatives, and other agents, have the property to increase the photosensitivity of the skin
- Should not be used the ointment for a long time on large areas, especially in children and people with thin skin. When applied to extensive areas must be periodically examine the urine for signs of jade.
Dosage and how to use Salytar® ointment
- Before use – consult your doctor
- Apply a little rubbing into the skin, in the evening (2 times a day) for at least for 2 hours, unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor
- For best results, strengthening the keratolytic effect, applied from above occlusive dressing
- With the defeat of the scalp ointment is recommended to apply for 3-4 hours before washing your hair;
- The treated area should not be more than 25 % of body surface
- After thoroughly wash your hands
- The recommended period of treatment is 1-4 weeks
- The second course should be agreed with your physician.